Wednesday 31 March 2010

František Kupka

The above image, The Yellow Scale, is on the cover of my copy of Joris-Karl Huysman's 1884 novel Against Nature, which I'm reading at the moment, and is attributed to Franz Kupka. Presumably this is the Czech artist František Kupka (1871-1957), but if John Coulthart doesn't know, then I sure as hell don't.

First associated with the Symbolist movement, Kupka worked for a time as an illustrator in Paris, and later became one of the earliest Modernist painters to abandon figuration. The images below are from a somewhat mind-boggling Flickr set of what seems to be mostly Czech art and architecture.

1 comment:

  1. Kupka is god.
    You have found an artist that I can relate to, but I guess you knew I would comment in some way or another on this guy.

    ReplyDelete